The Benefits of Having Dental Coverage
Recent research indicates that oral health conditions can have significant impact and consequence to the rest of the body and overall health. We know that gum disease is linked to diabetes, heart disease, pregnancy complications, Alzheimer's and certain cancers1. These known connections between the mouth and the body highlight the importance of good oral health, which can only be achieved through a personal commitment to oral hygiene and regular visits to a dentist.
Having a reliable dental plan in place removes many barriers to receiving preventive care and improving your oral health. We know that people with dental benefits receive more regular oral health care.
- FACT: People who have the least access to preventive services and dental treatment have greater rates of oral diseases.2
- FACT: Three out of four Americans suffer from some form of gum disease, yet only about 3% seek treatment for their gum disease.3
- FACT: Treating gum disease in people with diabetes reduces their medical costs and hospitalizations4
Good Health Starts Here
When you choose to be covered by Delta Dental, your dental plan includes convenient access to care and useful information to understand your benefits. It emphasizes preventive benefits and encourages you to use your coverage. We know your oral health and your overall health will benefit.
Delta Dental is recognized as the leading provider of dental benefit plans - in Missouri and across the country. We are also the leader in the quest to eradicate chronic oral disease and disrupt the links between poor oral health and other leading indicators and consequences of chronic disease.
When you personally place a priority on prevention, over time you can expect to see less need for the more expensive restorative and major services. As oral health improves, you may also experience a positive effect on your overall health, as complications in several chronic diseases may be reduced.Choices in Plans
As you look over the products and plans we offer, be sure to consider some important features of each plan. If you have questions about how to select the best plan for your situation, please call our customer care team at (866) 991-7345.
- Many of our Individual and Family plans are PPO plans. This means that you will always pay the least out of your own pocket when you select a dentist who is in the Delta Dental PPOSM Network.
- You have choices in the type of coverage that you purchase. Be sure to consider family members who need coverage. Different age limits apply for your dependent children based on the plan you choose.
- Consider the coinsurance and deductible amounts that you will pay. These affect your out-of-pocket costs and are always paid up front, regardless of the levels of your coverage.
We are proud of our wellness relationship with the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute. As part of your purchase of dental coverage through Delta Dental of Missouri, you will have access to the Cleveland Clinic Wellness website, where you can learn wellness tips from the nation's leading experts. You may register to receive email Wellness Tips of the Day for free. You can choose to enroll in affordable online programs such as StressFreeNow, GoToSleep and GoFoodsforYou. You can purchase wellness items from its online store. We support your efforts to improve your oral health, and this is just one more way we show it.
- The American Academy for Oral Systemic Health. http://aaosh.org/public_resources/common-oral-systemic-questions.php. 2010
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Oral health: Preventing cavities, gum disease, tooth loss, and oral cancers: At a glance 2010 [Internet]. Atlanta: CDC; c2010 [cited 2010 March 8]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/AAG/doh.htm#aag
- The American Academy of Periodontology.
- Jeffcoat, M., et. al., Periodontal Therapy Reduces Hospitalizations and Medical Costs in Diabetics, Abstract, American Association of Dental Research, March 23, 2012